Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Nearly 10 years ago

Nothing is new. I have been surfing the net looking to find other opinions and insight into my personal struggle with the nature of being a man, and came across a series of articles written for the Washington Post. Details after the jump. You can read the articles here . Here is the line that caught my attention "Surprisingly, although men and women agreed they should have equal work opportunities, and men said they approved of women working outside the home, large majorities of both said it would be better if women could instead stay home and just take care of the house and children." This was written in March of 1998.

Nice to know that people have been struggling with this for at least a decade. I think what it really comes down to is that many woman would like to stay home and raise the kids. So why aren't they? A couple of reasons jump out at me. First, society has placed such an emphasis on material success that two incomes have become the norm. You need both parents to be working so you can afford a nice car, and a nice house, and shiny new toys. Second, I know that if I had specnt a huge amount of time and money becoming successful in this world, it would be damn difficult to get me to give it up. Finally, I think many women feel pressure from other woman not to be "just" a mom. As if somehow they are betraying womankind by being a mom.

I am certain that there are hundreds of reasons that woman continue to work as opposed to staying home (certainly, simply having the option to work in their chosen career is a good one). However, I think society as a whole suffers for it.

I will have more on this series of articles in the next few days.

1 comment:

Tammy Chenault said...

Very interesting topic. As a mother of two who works from home (for a company outside the home) these issues are really important to me right now. It was nice to read in the article you linked to that I'm not the only one having a hard time striking a balance. And I, too, have worried that society as a whole (and my own little family in particular) may be suffering from both parents working. Looks like you're done with this blog, but thanks for putting it out there.